ferns and whatnot

Wednesday 19 December 2012

Happy December 21st

It has been far too long friends. So what is new? Planning for the end of the world have you? Oh nooooo he didn't. Look folks, I think most of us know that December 21st isn't going to be some calendar-triggered wrath of the gods Armageddon thang. But you know what is scary? A lot of people are serious about this, and I just can't figure it out. We trust antibiotics and antiviral drugs based on observable evidence (and evolution), we trust the tides when we are boating or on a beach walkabout, and we certainly trust gravity when we must. This "trust" comes not from feelings, but rather from direct evidence. But when it comes to life/death, we often throw all logic out the window and trust some archaic fairy tale. Now don't get me wrong, there are amazing ancient achievements that we must appreciate. But that does not include slavery, racism, sexism, literal belief in outrageous myths, so on and so forth. So why believe this nonsense? No offense intended, but if you tell me that the Earth is flat I will say "no it is not." If you tell me the Sun and Planets revolve around the Earth I will say "Nope, wrong again." We have obvious evidence, and people have come to trust this (only after a long battle with logic, reason, and the sciences). We have come a long way earthlings. So why all the intellectual fuddy duddy surrounding matters such as the aforementioned? Do our brains have a propensity to make up stories when ideas become to complex or confusing? I personally trust the things I know - the look in my partner's eyes when we wake up together, the way a run in the wilderness takes me away, the happiness I get when visiting good friends and family, the way six strings sound around a campfire, and the way 90's punk rock still makes me feel. Perhaps we would all be a little more in touch with each other if we trusted that which is close. That which we can see, and that which we can measure. Why worry about the future? I don't profess to sit on some intellectual Percheron or mean to come across as though I have all the answers - I just think time spent building bomb shelters and buying plastic wrap for the windows might be better spent actually living. I dunno. Just spit-balling here folks. Call me a materialist, but I need science to guide my way. Give me some evidence, and I will take the bait. Give me definitive proof and I will scream from the tops of mountains. Give me a cup cake and I will eat it. Then go for a run. Then write a blog about it. Take care homies, keep it real. As a wise man once said "let's shoot for the moon - if we only get half way, it's better than workin' for the man."

No comments:

Post a Comment